History of Fox Lake Golf Club

  • May 1918 – Louis B. Mason began to lay out a 9-hole golf course on Dickson pasture called Waushara Golf Club and the course was ready for play in mid July. Frank Baker won the first club championship shooting a course record 89.
  • July 1919 – Andrew Frank purchased the Tuttle estate which included the 90 acre golf course.
  • June 1921 – A road was constructed to Ferguson’s Point, now known as Indian Point.
  • December 1921 – Six men (J.M. Rodger, DeMott Church, L.B. Mason, C.M. Jones, A.C. Sager, and Frank Baker) met to begin the start of the new Fox Lake Golf Club.
  • July 1922 – The new course was complete and ready for play. The new course was just south of the old Waushara Golf Club. Adrian Schlitzberg became the first club champion later that year.
  • 1923 – The first four club tournament was held with Old Hickory, Portage, Watertown, and Fox Lake; Old Hickory was the winner.
  • 1924 – There were 70 members of the Fox Lake Golf Club.
  • May 1925 – The new club house was opened.
  • June 1928 – A new clubhouse was opened with telephone and electricity. Frank Dolven, Fox Lake’s first professional, was hired.
  • 1953 – The first tournament for junior boys under the age of 15 was held with Bing Eilers taking medalist honors.
  • August 1954 – The first caddie tournament was held and won by Vincent Ptaschinski. The equipment shed was struck by fire and most of the equipment was severely damaged.
  • 1961 – The club purchased its first gas powered rental cart.
  • 1964 – The course was lengthened to just over 3,300 yards.
  • 1972 – The course was re-rated to a 6,088 yard par 70.
  • 1981 – A new Primary membership class was introduced.
  • 1982 – The course was re-rated.
  • 1988 – A new Manual Irrigation system for greens, tees, and fairways was installed in the fall. The board also authorized $20,000 in improvements to the clubhouse.
  • June 16,1989 – The first ever Night Golf was played.
  • 1995 – Tee times were instituted for playing golf.
  • 1996 – Landscape Planners, Inc. drew up rough plans for a new nine holes on the land of Ken Perry.
  • 1997 – Fox Lake Golf Club is in its 75th year of operation. Stockholders voted to buy land in Mackford Prairie, which would be traded to Ken Perry for his land east of the golf course.
  • 2004 – Expanded from 9 holes to 18 holes
  • 2022 – Fox Lake celebrates our 100th year of operation

GET ACCESS TO SPECIAL DEALS & PROMOTIONS FROM FOX LAKE →  

Scroll to Top
Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap